- VocALign PRO 4 automatically aligns two audio signals so that the timing of one matches the other
- Simple, intuitive operation with Audio Suite, AAX, VST3 and AU plug-ins work with popular DAWs
- Sophisticated pattern matching techniques
- Rejects guide track noise
- Works with different speakers, singers, words, instruments and sounds
- The aligned audio can be auditioned within VocALign PRO 4
- Scrolling, scalable display allows instant visual confirmation of sync
- User interface allows adjustment of selected audio regions for processing
- User-adjustable processing presets ensure optimal performance
- Pitch of aligned audio is unchanged
Advanced Features and Functions in VocALign Pro 4
- Increased alignment accuracy:- achieved with a more sophisticated pattern recognition algorithm.
- Enhanced TimeMod (time compression/expansion):- optimised for single-pitch signals. Basic TimeMod algorithm also available for more complex signals.
- Protected signal blocks:- user can mark sections of the Replacement (Dub) signal to not be time-modified during alignment.
- Comprehensive audio preview options:- allows playback of sections or the whole signal(s) before and after alignment, individually or together. (In Pro Tools version)
- User settable Synch Points:- targets audio alignment at specified pairs of points in the two signals.
- Longer maximum signal length:- Up to 5 minutes
Benefits using VocALign PRO
Editors in film, video post production, music and multimedia now have more control over any required audio alignment editing. They will be able to target the alignment of the replacement signal (Dub) to the Guide where it is required and can keep sections of the Dub from being edited by specifying Protected areas. The Sync Points feature can help the algorithm sync matching points in very different signals.
These features will be invaluable for certain types of noisy or reverberant Guide signals and especially useful for foreign dialogue replacement. In addition, the new Preview Controls allow much more detailed examination of parts or all of the two signals, together or separately, both before or after alignment to confirm the quality of editing and alignment.
The other features such as improved overall quality of automatic alignment and micro-editing will save the user even more time and frustration.
How does VocALign PRO Work?
VocALign works by applying varying amounts of time stretching or compression to one signal (called the ‘Dub’) to make its energy peaks and troughs align in time with a ‘Guide’ signal. It does this in three main steps as shown in the block diagram below.
- VocALign analyses the captured Guide and Dub audio signals using identical spectrum analysers to produce time-varying energy patterns.
- Then it uses advanced pattern recognition techniques to examine the energy patterns and determine the best way to ‘warp’ the time structure of the Dub signal so that its energy pattern is matched to that of the Guide. The time-warping path describes the best time-distortion of the Dub for matching to the Guide.
- The time-warping path is fed to an audio editing processor that time-compresses and expands the Dub audio to create the aligned version based on the path. It is this edited version of the Dub that is returned to the audio editing software for the desired use.
Note: In the above diagram, the spectrum analyser colours match those used in the VocALign screen for Guide and Dub audio signals and controls.